The Snuff Tobacco Reference

The Brookford Snuff Mills

The Brookford Snuff Mills which once stood along the Lawrence Brook in New Brunswick had as their origin the grist mill of the same site that was established by 1750 and which went on to become a fulling mill before its conversion into a snuff mill in 1839 by one Matthew S. Edgerton. This original building was destroyed by fire in 1851, and a new snuff mill was accordingly built the following year. Edgerton in 1856 sold the property to one William G. Parsons, who would greatly expand the site and was ultimately succeeded in business by his sons James M. Parsons and William G. Parsons the junior. The remainder of the history of this mill is unverified.


  1. New Brunswick and Its Industries. The Brookford Snuff Mills. Pages 69–70. 1873.
  2. History of Union and Middlesex Counties, New Jersey. W. Woodford Clayton. Page 749. 1882. Digitised version